Friday, April 6, 2012

Armbar/Choke combo

In Fundamentals class today, we worked on more guard armbars and gi chokes. However, we also worked on a cool combo armbar/gi choke. To perform it, I have my opponent in my full guard. I trap their right wrist with my left hand. I then get a cross collar grip with my right, as if I am going for a gi choke. You use this to break their posture. They will probably tuck their chin to prevent the choke. Hip out towards their untrapped arm, using your left foot on their hip. Bring your right left up their back and dig your heels into it. If their chin is still tucket, bring the left leg over and lock in the arm bar. If they try to get tall and defend the armbar, grab their left shoulder with your left hand, hip out in the opposite direction (bring your left shoulder towards your left ankle) and lock in the choke. If their chin is tucked again, don't abandon it. Shake their head like a rag doll and you will get it locked everytime.

In this video, he does not do the choke, but he does do the armbar from the lapel grip


I did not roll today since I bruised my ribs in no-gi earlier in the week. I spent that free time working with a new guy on full guard posture and a guard pass. If feels good to no longer be the "new guy" in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment