Friday, April 27, 2012

Guard passes and friction burns

Yesterday's class was full of promise. My rib injury did not appear to be hindering me so I was determined to roll. Also I had spent a lot of time studying the white and blue belt sections of Ribeiro's Jiu Jitsu University book. I was anxious to try out my new defensive techniques. 

We practiced 3 double underhook open guard passes. This first of which involved grabbing a hold of the back of your opponent's gi top, hopping up to your feet then flipping them onto their shoulder. I then plant my shoulder and head against their inverted lower back and guide them over to a turtle position where I take the back.

The next variation involved my opponent grasping my wrists. I extend one leg at a 90 degree angle parallel to me opponents bicep. I then rotate my leg inward, putting pressure on the bicep as I rip my wrist free. The free hand then traps my opponent's leg to the group for the pass to side control.

The last variation also starts with my wrist grasped. I extend one arm out to create space and then use my foot to disengage my arm. I then trap the leg on the same side and transition to side control.

I rolled for the first time in probably 6 weeks. After 6 rounds I was not gassed at all but I was a bit frustrated with my performance. I did alright against the blue I rolled with for 2 rounds. Other than 2 armlocks after being mounted, I held my own. After class I asked him about what I did to put myself in those positions and he told me that when he transitioned to mount, I kept my underhooks, giving him the opportunity to trap my arm. From there he figure-foured the trapped arm and locked in the modified armbar. 

I wasnt really upset about the armlocks because he was an advanced blue who too advantage of every one of my mistakes, which is what he is expected to do. However, my next 2 opponents were white belts who managed to control my posture from the full guard every time. I was never able to get into a strong enough base to even attempt a pass. I always thought of my guard passing within the closed guard to be one of my strong suits. It seemed like every time I found myself in their close guard, I was a second too late from posturing up and ended up on their chest from their collar grips. In one instance, I found myself on the wrong end of an Ezekiel Choke 5 seconds after getting into his guard. 

I came home with a scab on my right hand, elbow, and knee, and the kind of muscle aches that let me know I put some work in. I haven't felt that good pain in a while and look forward to doing t again today. 

No comments:

Post a Comment