Thursday, April 5, 2012

Double leg take-downs and half guard defense pass defense

My first day training in over a month after receiving a steroid injection in my wrist and tweaking my back. We went over 2 variations of a double leg takedown in no-gi as well as a half-guard pass defense.

For the first double leg, I step in with my lead leg, then as I grab my opponent just below the knees, my shoulder makes contact with my opponent's sternum. To gain maximum force with the least amount of energy expended, make sure that the lead leg does not touch the ground until  contact is made with your shoulder. When your opponent falls, use your hands to guide them to either side control or half guard. Be careful not to follow them down into a guillotine choke.

In the 2nd variation, the same procedure is followed as above but your lead leg is actually wrapped around your opponents ankle after making contact, and has hit the ground. Make sure that foot never lands flat on the floor. Aim for it to lie against or on top of your other leg. When your opponent falls, you will begin in half-guard.




For the half-guard defense, we used a simple technique of pushing my opponents head in the opposite direction that they are trying to pass, using both arms extended against the side of their face. In the event that your opponent achieves the pass, use your extended arms to create space and hip escape into half or full guard again.

No comments:

Post a Comment