Thursday, January 12, 2012

Armbars from the bottom

Today we worked on a cross collar choke from the bottom guard, cross collar armbar, and arm drag armbar.

Cross Collar Choke:
From bottom closed guard, get a deep collar grip with your opposite hand. Place your foot  on the same side as your free hand and push off and rotate towards the opponent. Next grip their opposite shoulder with your free hand. Now lock in the choke, pull them tight to your chest. Note: remember to breath when going for the submission.



Cross Collar Armbar:
Same as above, but when going for the shoulder, your opponent reaches for your arm to prevent you from setting up the choke. Their extended arm is trapped between your legs, as you swing the same side leg over their head and lock in the armbar.

Arm Drag Armbar:
From bottom guard, your opponent had grabbed your gi. With both hands, grab their wrist and use a hip thrust to force their grip free. Guide their arm across your body. Release your grip of your hand that is now across your body and reach over their shoulder and grasp their gi near their armpit. Glide your arm over their head and use your elbow to force the head away. This creates space for yo to swing your leg over their head and lock in the armbar.



We sparred for 30 minutes. I pulled off my first butterfly sweep and several key lock sweeps (that I am getting very good at -Gracie Combatives disk 1). I also played pretty good defense from my back. I need to work on balancing offense and defense. From my back I only focus on defending and on top, I continuously look for subs, leaving my posture vulnerable and I end up getting swept.

I am happy that I did not get gassed for the very first time, as I am breathing much better and learning where opportunities exist to buy time. Overall it was another positive class.

No comments:

Post a Comment