Thursday, January 26, 2012

Bow and Arrow Chokes and neck burns- UGGH

Great class today. We  worked on 2 variations of Bow and Arrow Chokes. The standard variation starts from an over under hook from the back with leg hooks in deep. With the over hook, get a deep collar grip. With the under hook, grab the same side leg. Lay back, pulling the collar and legs as you fall. Your leg that is on the same side as the choke hold should become unhooked and posted up at a right angle to prevent your opponent from rolling over it in defense.



In the 2nd variation, your opponent rolls over your leg. Keep your opposite foot engaged in your opponent, either over their leg or on their hip. As they roll, follow them, remaining on their back. Free your bottom leg and roll into their body to lock in the choke.

Mid way through class, I developed neck burns on my left side. Mainly because my sparing partner rarely reversed his grip. You would get neck burns too if you were on the short end of  20+ Bow and Arrow Chokes.

We rolled after training as usual. My first partner overpowered me most of the match and I found myself in 2 armlocks and a choke.  Other than a couple of sweeps, I didn't get much accomplished. I did mush better against my 2nd opponent who was one of the most experienced in my belt classification. I wanted to focus on bottom guard so I pulled guard every time. He only managed to get out of my guard once. I managed 1 triangle choke but got blocked on all sweep attempts. My final opponent was a female Blue who did a great job of preventing me from pulling guard by getting really  low. I locked in 2 Americana's but she managed to roll out both times.

No comments:

Post a Comment