Friday, January 27, 2012

Rolling is Fun-damental

Another great Fundamentals class today. I took the 10am kickboxing class and immediately followed it up with BJJ. We worked on closed guard techniques. We started with simple posturing  from the top and hip control from the bottom. We then went on to taking advantage of their posturing by sweeping with their momentum.Next we worked on Kimura's from the closed guard, including ways to set up the Kimura, and finished the techniques portion of class with  a sweep from the Kimura.

After 60 minutes of training, we rolled for another 30. I was an observant the last 2 rounds of rolling. I guess my cardio limit was at 135 minutes of constant training. None the less, I see progress in many areas (sweeps, posturing, bottom closed guard) and not so much progress in other areas ( hip control, shrimping, giving up my back). I have a much better understanding of the importance of rolling as well as studying. I use to watch as much video as I could consume, and wasn't making nay progress. Now I simply use videos to reinforce techniques I learned training. My rolling has helped me learn timing, pacing myself, and energy conservation. Not to mention the fact that it makes me more and more comfortable to find myself in compromising positions. I am no longer an easy tap in an armbar, nor am I finding myself getting setup for subs as much. I wish I could say I was on the winning end of more subs.
That will come with time. This is only my 9th class.

 I think I will focus on strength and core exercises tomorrow and skip BJJ.

No comments:

Post a Comment