Thursday, February 16, 2012

NEWSFLASH: I finally get it

After 15 minutes of rolling, something clicked. I realized a minute aspect of my game that changed everything. I noticed that when I am on my back, I always stayed flat. Never changed angles. The moment I made a conscious effort to not remain flat, I was suddenly no longer an easy roll. I was able to get my legs under my body for transitions, execute more effective sweeps, and essentially survive longer and be more aggressive.

Today's class focused on 2 open guard sweeps that result in knee on belly.
In the first variation, my feet are on my opponents hips, I am control of their gi at the wrist, and have positioned their arms near the ground, outside my legs, putting pressure on their bicep with my shin. I then swing one of my legs to the opposite side of their hip across their body. Your opponent will naturally want to rotate towards the opening generated by the leg shift. When they do so, underhook their knee, shift their weight on top of you, then sweep then, ended up with knee on belly.



In the second variation, you will perform the same steps, however before moving the leg across their body, you will straighten your other leg, bring it over their arm from the outside, and hook your ankle upder their arm pit. While executing the sweep, you may have to push their arm out from under you to avoid the bicep cutter.





Today was my most productive day rolling and was not and easy out for anyone.  Defensively, I made sure I kept my arms in and close to my body while on the bottom. At no time did I find my limbs in a compromising position, however my neck was another story. I got caught in a couple of gi chokes and one guillotine.

No comments:

Post a Comment