Monday, February 27, 2012

Takedown city

Considering I am participating in my first tournament this weekend, and I have only worked on takedowns once, I REALLY needed this class. 

We started with some amazing solo drills using body kick pads. We performed side control transitions, knee on belly drills, and more. Next we practiced a solo drill for a collar takedown. Start off with your arm extended at a right angle (this is your imaginary collar grip). With your opposite leg, take a step back to the same side and your extended arm. Next step your forward leg inside of your opponents imaginary leg and bring that knee to the mat and you reach for their other leg with your free arm.

Next we worked on real takedowns. The first was  the real version of the takedown above. Then we performed another takedown using a collar grip with one hand and  a sleeve grip at the elbow with the other. Rotate your collar gripped hand to the outside. The sleeve gripped arm should have your elbow out as if you are checking the time on a watch. Next in one motion, rotate your collar grip inside, tuck the elbow of the sleeve grip, and step your inside leg across both of your opponents legs. You should at least end up in side control.

The last takedown we worked on is intended to be used when opponents  are extending their arms and tucking their butt out, facing you square. Inexperienced opponents do this to keep you away from their legs. When this happens, grip their collar at the chest, step out to the same side of the grip. Hook your inside leg and reach form the opposite leg with your free arm. The will fall side ways, leaving you in side control. 

Both the North South armbar and kimura were so poorly executed by me that I do not believe it is fair for me to explain it. I will try to find videos.

Regarding the tournament this weekend. I made the mistake of googling my first opponent when they posted the brackets. I wasnt nervous till I saw I was going up against a former wrestling champion. Lesson learned. 

No comments:

Post a Comment