Thursday, December 8, 2011

Butterfly guard passes

So today's class focused on passing the Spider Guard as well as defending against the pass. The 2 primary techniques we worked on focused on transitioning to side control.

Butterfly Guard pass variation #1:
Drive your head int your opponents sternum, turning to face one side. Use your hands to control your opponents hips and keep your body pressed hard against their feet. On the same side that you are facing, push your knee as far forward as it can go and join your elbow to your knee. Now cartwheel up and over to the side opposite your face.


Butterfly Guard pass variation #2:
Your opponent is in the seated butterfly guard and is bear hugging you. You want to use your head to force them to the mat and also get your arms inside theirs. You then want to prop yourself up on your toes and drive their knees to their chest. You then force open their guard with your hands on one knee. This should cause the hook to release. If not, get your legs straighter and higher. Now swing both legs over your opponents side that has the released hook. You should now be in side control. 

It is pretty obvious by my explanation of variation 2, that I still do not fully understand it. I have also not found a video that covers this technique. The video below is the closest I can find. 




I still need to work on my stamina. I did better than my first class but was still gassed after 5 minutes of sparring. I also received my first 2 injuries. I have a bruised right bicep that I have no idea how I obtained, and a skinned knee from landing incorrectly on the cartwheel pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment