Thursday, December 15, 2011

"Posture up. Posture up. Posture the &$#* up!"

Tonight I will be having nightmares of being suffocated by an anaconda in the Amazon rain forest, because I refused to "look up at the ceiling" while in his guard, I mean grasp.

Today's class was  relatively simple. At least from a technique standpoint. Half the class we worked on escaping the closed guard by standing up. Sounds easy right? And by all means, it was pretty easy. All we had to do for the first variation was to grasp the lapel and wrist, bring 1 knee up at a right angle, then the other, and stand up. Next release the hand that was on the lapel and pressure the knee open, it is not already open. The key to it all is posturing up before starting. I must have been told 20 times to look at the ceiling. But my natural instincts kept telling me to look at what I was doing. It wasn't until the last few minutes of practicing that it finally sank in. Better late than never.





Variation #2 was the exact same way, but without grabbing the lapel. It involves less effort, but also a little more arm strength from the arm grasping your opponent.

Today was the first time I sparred with a blue (2 in fact) as well as my first time sparing with a pro mma (one of the blues). I managed to lock in the kimura on him once but the bell rang before the tap. He also got me to tap from 3 armbars (seems to be a recurring theme) and 1 triangle. I fared a lot better during my last sparing session with a 2 stripe white. I managed a full guard sweep to a guillotine.

I ended up sitting out the last 15 minutes of sparring because I busted open my knee again. This time it severely stained my brand new white gi pants. I think this is going to be a trend because it keeps splitting open in a scar from reconstructive knee surgery 7 years ago. Note to self, wrap my knees every class.



Overall this was my best class yet. I am loving every minute of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment