Sunday, December 11, 2011

"Pissed off" would be the understatement of the year

I was extremely excited to dive into my Saturday BJJ class after feeling that I had made alot of progress in my last class. I arrived at 11:05 for my noon class and decided to warm up on the bike and watch 15 minutes of MMA sparing. At 11:45 I trotted up the stairs to the dojo, when I heard a welcoming voice. I could distinctly hear the our lead instructor, and 8th degree gracie black belt, providing guidance. It is extremely rare that he teaches the white belts, so my adrenalin stated pumping as the thought of learning from one of the best began to sink in. That was until I got to the top of the stairs, and saw the faces of all of the sweaty students who has been rolling now for almost 1 hour.

That's right, I showed up 1 hour late for the class. The weekday classes take place at noon however, the Saturday class starts at 11am. My brain freeze didn't unthaw until I saw everyone, including the sense, starting at me. Not only did I miss class. But I missed class, missed out on getting trained by one of the best, and embarrassed myself in front of the class and the sense. Super bummer.

So I went home and committed myself to learning at least 1 new move. From the Gracie Combatives disk 2, I worked on taking the back from the mount when your opponent starts to roll. I also learned when to do when you lose your hooks from the back. Both techniques work together and can be practiced alone.

Taking the back from mount:
If your opponent tries to roll, in order to escape the mount, they will bring one of their arms across their body, to gain leverage for the roll. Place the sole of your foot, that is on the side that their arm is reaching towards, on the ground. our leg should be at a right angle.
Next put your other knee behind their neck. As they roll, slide your legs under their thighs, using your arms to support your weight.
Once your on their back, slide down and do an over/under hook on their upper body.



Defense when losing the hook from the back:
If one of your hooks comes out when you have the back, bring the opposite leg across their body, pull your arm out from under them, and push yourself up to the mount.



These steps can be practiced alone, as demonstrated on the Gracie Combatives DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment