Friday, December 23, 2011

Flying Armbar and Windmill Sweep

Today's class was an interesting one. We started with the Flying Armbar and then the Windmill Sweep in the event that the opponent has strong posture and prevents the armbar. We warmed up with 20 backwards falls, in which only 50% were applied correctly (thus my aching back). We drilled the Flying Armbar and Windmill for another 40, of which I was dropped twice (again with the back). I dTowards the end of the drilling, my partner suggested that I throw my hips back as I jumped, which allowed me to wrap my hips on and angle instead of perpendicular to my opponent. That seems to work better.

The last 20 minutes of class were spent sparing. There was no mercy for me today as my first sparing opponent was a blue, then a pro MMA purple, and then a female blue. I realized  that despite all the websites indicating that BJJ is the great equalizer for the weak, strength does play a huge factor. Against the purple, he pulled guard immediately  and figured I would tap on a quick triangle. I kept my head down and he wasn't able to get the lock. I then overpowered his wrist and held it flat on the mat. I locked in the Americana purely by strength but my inexperience caused me to roll the wrong was and he was able to take my back. My stamina is slowly improving, but I am still struggling with patience and energy conservation. 2 of my 3 sparring partners had to remind me to breath.

Being so new, I need to focus on defensive drills and sweeps rather than locks and subs. Since I busted my unhealed knee open for the 3rd consecutive class, I will take the holidays off from BJJ training to allow myself to heal and study more defensive moves. I did effectively utilize some wrist control and leg hooks that I picked up on the internet, so I would have to say that my self study dilemma may have worked itself out (i.e. Is it worth studying techniques on the internet?).

Flying Armbar
While standing, grab your opponent either at the elbow (preferred) or wrist. With your other hand, grab your opponents collar or the back of the neck. Jump up and lock your ankles above your opponents waist. It helps to thrown your hips out. Now toss the leg that is on the same side as the arm grip over your opponents head. This motion should take your opponent to the ground where the armbar can be locked in. In the event that your opponent has strong posture, apply an inside hook around your opponents leg using your other arm (the one that is not being used for the armbar). Now pull the knee toward you and your opponent will fall to the ground inside your guard. If you lose the armbar, proceed to the windmill sweep below.



Windmill Sweep
This sweep works well after a failed flying armbar attempt because you already have the required hook in place and possibly still have control of the opposite arm.
To perform the Windmill Sweep from the bottom full guard, control one of your opponents arms either via armdrag, elbow lock, or wrist control. Basically you just want to make sure that arm cannot be used to stop the sweep.  Swing your hips out towards that arm, creating space between your opponents leg and your other arm. Now apply an inside leg hook with your free arm. Now propel your opposite leg (the one that is on the same side as the arm control, towards your opponents leg to gain leverage, then quickly back down to the ground. As you are on the downward motion, pull the locked leg towards you. Your opponent will roll on his back and your momentum should allow you to follow for the mount.





No comments:

Post a Comment